Welcome to Rathoe Community Childcare
About Rathoe Community Childcare
Rathoe Community Childcare is based in the village of Rathoe directly across from Scoil Phadraig National school. It was originally set up in 2006 as an Afterschool service in Rathoe Parish Hall and has since grown into a Preschool and Afterschool service.
Our curriculum of Natural Play Based learning reflects the workings of outdoor learning specialist Jan White and the themes and learning goals of the Aistear Curriculum Framework. At the heart of our thinking is that all children have a natural affinity for play. We do not have to teach children how to play, they are biologically designed to do so. Natural Play stresses the importance of physicality, movement and doing and is vital for children’s health and development. Children have an essential need for sensory stimulation and movement and this is best found in the natural outdoor environment. The design of our building enables the children to decide if they wish to play indoors or outdoors with both environments offering various interest areas to explore and develop. Outdoor play and connection to nature is very important for children’s physical development, mental health and wellbeing.
Each child’s learning and development is documented through photographs and proudly displayed on our notice boards throughout our service and within each classroom’s learning story wall. Every learning story captures the narrative of each child and reflects the themes and principles of Aistear the Early Childhood Curriculum Framework.
Here in Rathoe Community Childcare we are very fortunate to be surrounded by nature and all that it provides. Our main focus is introducing children to the endless benefits of the outdoors. Children learn through active, hands-on experience playing, exploring, experimenting and discovering outside. Movement and activity encourages brain growth and improves children’s attention and their memory, which creates a strong foundation for all of their future development.
Both of our colourful and spacious preschool rooms provide a variety of interest areas and fun opportunities for exploration and play. The layout of each room is based on the children’s needs and interests throughout the year.
Our Rooms and Services
- Ecce Preschool: 9am-12pm
- Preschool extra hours (wrap around care) 12pm-3pm
- Non-Ecce/NCS/Private: Our preschool rooms are open to all children who are potty trained from 2 years 8 months old.
- Breakfast Club opens at 7.45am daily.
- Staff walk the children over to Rathoe National School for 9.00am
- Our Afterschool Service is open from 2pm to 5.45pm.
- We collect children from Rathoe Primary school at 2pm and 3pm.
- We welcome all children from other schools in the local area.
- We follow the yearly calendar of Rathoe Primary school.
- We provide Higher Adult/Child Ratios throughout our service.
- Afterschool full day camps from 9am – 4pm excluding bank holidays. Our camps are held every year during Halloween, Midterm, Easter and Summer.